Alpha, or the 'first' quadra, includes ILE, SEI, ESE, and LII. Reinin characterizes this quadra as Judicious, Merry, and Democratic.
Grouping together the elements of the Ego blocks of the Alpha Quadra types, we get a picture of what aspects of life Alpha Quadra types strive to bring to the forefront of life, as well as the kind of group atmosphere and lifestyle they pursue.
Ti blocked with Ne
- Alpha types are inclined to discuss highly theoretical concepts as a source of intellectual stimulation and fun rather than for their practical merits.
- Alpha types tend to value logically consistent beliefs and ideas, and behavior that is consistent with personal values.
- Alpha types typically follow through on their ideas in the form of group activity.
Fe blocked with Si
- Alpha types tend to enjoy participating in groups where there is free exchange of positive emotional expression in an atmosphere pleasing to the senses.
- Alpha types are inclined to discuss stories told in detail and according to the sequence in which events happened, rather than "jump to the point" quickly.
- Alpha types are inclined to show affection for others in the form of small practical services or gifts.
- Alpha types tend to feel energized in the positive atmosphere of special events, such as public holidays, parties and special celebrations.
Grouping together the elements of the Super-Ego blocks of the Alpha Quadra types, we get a picture of what aspects of life Alpha types strive to keep hidden, avoid, not focus attention on, and keep at the periphery of their lives.
Fi blocked with Se
- Alpha types prefer to avoid the discussion of controversial and unpleasant subjects regarding personal relationships while in groups, especially if leading to confrontations.
- Alpha types are inclined to be tolerating of minor past misdeeds by others, giving priority to reconciliation and a convivial atmosphere.
Te blocked with Ni
- Alpha types are less likely to make investments that require long-term commitment and upkeep. They prefer short-term investments that offer a reliable outcome with minimal involvement.
- Alpha types avoid taking direct life advice, preferring to experience and learn for themselves. They perceive people who try to give such advice as pedantic.
Inclination for comfortable and pleasant group atmosphere, in the emotional, sensorial, and intellectual aspects. An ideal Alpha group situation is the exchange of light-hearted jokes while discussing imaginative ideas, movies, or sometimes sports, all while enjoying pleasant food and drink. Narrating personal experiences usually takes the form of telling a joke; funny personal experiences are preferred over "serious" ones. The exchange of sober concrete details are avoided. If the group is playing a game together, the fun and jokes that go along with it are at least as important as the game itself. They avoid generating "heavy" moments; any dramatic expressions are limited in time, most often in service of a joke. Alphas are also perhaps the most likely types to participate in group use of mind-altering substances.
Alpha discussions tend to go off on tangents, in whatever direction seems most interesting or funny at the moment. Unusual personal observations are common, resulting from the analysis of the idiosyncrasies or inconsistencies of everyday life. If many in the group share the same observations, they are likely to express their agreement emphatically, so as to create a kind of "mental harmony" which enhances the group dynamic. If a new problem is encountered, it is expanded and developed in as many ways as possible, until some kind of satisfactory conclusion is reached.
Alphas make no distinction between "insiders" and "outsiders", easily drawing people into a conversation once it has begun â€” though they tend to just as easily withdraw if the person is not receptive. Likewise, they prefer to have the same behavior at work as at play; they find formal speech and dress to be pretentious, unnecessarily limiting, and even ridiculous. Alphas dislike the idea that there is something going on "behind the scenes", preferring to keep things (especially personal motivations) as open and straightforward as possible.
Romantic relationships usually evolve from sharing activities and interests for fun in a two-person version of the group behavior description above. Priority is given to keeping the partner happy in the sense of a good mood and amused on a daily basis, with avoidance of direct accusations or unnecessarily harsh criticism; relationships are seen as a source of day-to-day fun and happiness. Focus on remembering dates of particular significance and celebrating them. Playful interactions are based around light teasing and making the partner laugh; intimate atmospheres are based on generating a comfortable, welcoming, cozy atmosphere.
Perception of Other Quadras
Alphas tend to regard Beta types as "cool" and "fun," but also as bossy and sometimes coarse. In social situations, Alphas often resign the lead to Betas because Betas generally exert a 'vibe' of control over such situations. When positive emotions are expressed between members of these quadras, they get along quite well; however, Betas' negative emotions are often perceived by Alphas as tiresome. Alphas often joke light-heartedly in attempt to improve Betas' moods, or to gently ridicule them.
Alphas tend to regard Gamma types warily, as stand-offish and emotionally cold or even hostile, especially in work situations, as well as inclined to play favorites with those they know better, or are attracted to (for whatever reason, be it sexually or for power and gain.) Alphas tend to see Gamma types as too harsh in their words and unimaginative, lacking future perspective, and even disingenuous, as well as having a mean streak of unforgivingness and vindictiveness.
Alphas tend to regard Delta types as kindly and creative, but also as pragmatic and serious. When Deltas give Alphas advice, Alphas often perceive it as well-intentioned but too simplistic and direct. Alphas often respect Deltas' principles, opinions, and caring attitudes; however, they tend to perceive them as, at best, admirable and at worst, demanding, rather than fun.